Donor management software, also known as a donor management platform or donor management system, can help nonprofits save time and boost fundraising. Here’s what we’ll cover in this guide:
- What Is It?
- How Is It Beneficial?
- Does It Work With Other Apps?
- What’s The Best?
- What Features Are Included?
- Is It Good For Small Nonprofits?
What is donor management software?
Donor management software is a type of nonprofit software that helps organizations understand and maximize their relationships with their donors. As a tool that’s designed to help with donor relationship management, the software organizes donor data, identifies donor trends, and makes recommendations to increase the likelihood of receiving future donations.
As the name suggests, donor management software allows you to manage your donors and their donations. Not only can you track the donations that come in, but you can also get information about the donors themselves. With donation software, you have all of this crucial information in one place.
Image: Example of donor management software.
Why is donor management software beneficial for nonprofits?
Donor management software is designed to help you manage all of your donor data in one place. It’s a great alternative for organizations that have outgrown spreadsheets or are looking to really understand and utilize their data to maximize their fundraising efforts.
Donor management software can also use wealth screening to predict which donors are the most likely to give larger amounts of money, showing if and how donors are connected to each other, and highlighting giving habits. For instance, with donor management software you can track when donors give and how often they give and predict when and how much they are likely to donate in the future.
Donor management software also improves efficiency by organizing donations by giving levels and managing all donations in one location, even if they are obtained across social networking platforms, email campaigns, and organization events.
Does donor management software work with other apps?
Donor management software works with other apps to provide nonprofits with tools that the donor management software doesn’t already offer, like donation processing software. In the world of nonprofit technology, these are called integrations.
For example, all nonprofits need the ability to process payments and send emails to their donors, but not all donor management software will come with built-in tools to do those things. Nonprofits can integrate their donor management software with apps like Stripe and Mailchimp to create a more comprehensive platform that meets a wide range of needs and keeps all of their data in one convenient location.
Your nonprofit may prefer to use integrations instead of built-in solutions because you can continue using the best-in-class software tools you already rely on instead of having to adjust to built-in solutions. Many donor management platforms offer both options to help you choose the best option for you.
We recommend conducting a Data Audit of your online fundraising ecosystem to have the best understanding of what software you will need to connect with your donor management platform. Some examples include:
- Transactional sources like Classy, GoFundMe Charity, and Shopify
- Payment processing sources like PayPal, Stripe, and Square
- Marketing and communication sources like Constant Contact, Mailchimp, Squarespace, Facebook, and Twitter
- Event and auction sources like Eventbrite, BidBoz, Golden, and Zoom
- Accounting sources like QuickBooks and Aplos
You can download a free Data Audit Checklist to help you identify all the sources your organization is using.
What’s the best donor management software?
Investing in donation management software makes engagement with your donors so much easier, but looking online for the best software can feel overwhelming. Thousands of nonprofits have found their ideal donor database in Kindful’s comprehensive solution. But in case you’re still not sold, here are some third party resources that compare the best nonprofit CRM software on the market. Take a look.
- Double the Donation’s Top 15+ Donor Management Software
- Capterra’s Donation Management Software list
- G2’s list of the Best Donor Management Software
- FinancesOnline’s 20 Best Donor Management Software Solutions of 2021
Before making your decision it’s important to consider cost, feature set, size and capacity, and current customer testimonials and references.
What should I look for in donor management software?
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to finding the best donor management software. There are many options to choose from, each with its own set of features. That’s why we recommend that you consider which donor management features are most important for your nonprofit when evaluating solutions. We’ll include a list of features in five different categories to consider when making your checklist:
- Recurring giving. Allows donors to make automatically scheduled donations.
- Donation pages. A landing page where your donors can make online donations.
- Donation forms. A form on your website where your donors can make online donations.
- Donation buttons. Embeddable buttons on your website that will redirect to your donation page.
- Peer-to-peer fundraising tool. Allows you to launch campaigns where your supporters create teams and fundraise on your behalf.
- Crowdfunding tool. Allows your supporters to launch their own campaign and fundraise on your behalf.
- Event registration tool. Allows you to accept online event registrations and give tickets for your events.
- Wealth screening. Uses public records to estimate the giving potential of your donors.
- Matching gift tool. Finds employee matching gift opportunities for your donors.
- Text-to-give. Allows you to collect donations over text.
- Payment processing. Collect donations via credit card.
- Email receipts. Generate email receipts for donations, usually automatically.
- Automatic tax summary generator. Generates tax summaries for individual donors and usually allows you to send out your end-of-year tax summaries simultaneously to all your donors.
- Email marketing. Send mass mailings to your contacts.
- Communication history. Shows every interaction you’ve had with your contacts, including visits, phone calls, emails, and direct mailings.
- Contact & donor segmentation. Filter out your contacts based on a set of criteria, allowing you to target your communication to a relevant group and include personalization.
- Pledge tracking. Track and collect donation pledges from your donors.
- Contact profiles. Create pages for each of your contacts with their giving history, communication history, and more.
- Donor accounts. Give your donors the ability to view and manage their giving history, recurring donations, tax receipts, and more.
- Group segmentation. Create lists of your contacts based on certain filters.
- Tasks and reminders. Automatically set tasks and reminders to help maintain donor relationships.
- Household tracking. Track relationships among your donors and streamline communication.
- Donor tracking. Track every transaction you receive through cash, check, credit card, etc.
- Self-import tool. Import data into your database from offline sources.
- Custom fields. Create custom fields for your donation page and registration forms.
- Contact duplicate finder. Identify multiple data sources for a single contact and merge them together.
- In-kind gift tracking. Track, report, and document in-kind gifts from donors.
Tracking & Reporting
- Donor analytics. See high-level insights on your donors using a system like donor analytics, donor pyramid, etc.
- Custom reports. Create your own reports based on certain criteria.
- Scheduled reports. Set certain reports, like lapsed donors, that will email to you or another group of people on a recurring basis.
- Donor and contact records. See detailed insights on your contacts with records of all the interactions between your organization and the contact.
- Donor dashboard. Visualize your organization’s health in one simple dashboard.
Apps & Integrations
- Email marketing integrations. Integrate data from email marketing tools like Mailchimp, Constant Contact, and Emma.
- Accounting integrations. Integrate data from accounting software like QuickBooks.
- Fundraising tool integrations. Integrate data from other fundraising tools you’re using like GoFundMe Charity, Classy, and iDonate.
- Event registration & auction integrations. Integrate data from other event registration, event ticketing, and auction platforms like Eventbrite, TicketSpice, and Handbid.
- Payment processing integrations. Use outside payment processors to collect donations like Square, PayPal, and Stripe.
Is donor management software good for small nonprofits?
Small nonprofits can also benefit from donation management software. Although smaller nonprofits can have tighter budgets, they usually have smaller teams too. That’s why we recommend investing in a donor management solution even when your nonprofit is a small operation. It can do the work of a part-time or full-time staff member for as a little as $100 a month, depending on which software you use.
Investing in nonprofit management software early is also essential in setting the foundation for organizing your fundraising and donor data. Many small nonprofits that use spreadsheets to manage their donors find that their data becomes more and more disorganized and difficult to understand. This can be a headache for staff members whose time is already limited by development efforts, leading their team, and communicating with their supporters.
If you’re a small shop, it’s important to choose the right donor software for small nonprofits. Complex donor management systems for nonprofits like Salesforce requires a lot of customization and maintenance—specialized resources that small nonprofits often don’t have. Others require multi-year contract commitments—locking in small nonprofits for up to three years.
We recommend choosing a donor management software that’s simple, scalable, and still powerful. The best donor tracking software offers onboarding and training to help you move all your data into your new system. They’ll also be able to integrate with the other tools you’re already using, so you don’t have to learn entirely new systems for everything you do like email marketing and events.
Donation software for nonprofits organize and analyze donor information to help you maximize your fundraising efforts.
- Kindful Blog: 7 Benefits Of A Donor Management Platform
- Kindful Blog: How To Use Your Donor Database To Strengthen Relationships
- Kindful Blog: 3 Nonprofit Donor Database Best Practices For Your Organization
- Capterra Blog: 6 Reasons Your Non-Profit Needs Donor Management Software