Volunteers are a vital component of any nonprofit organization. In fact, the current value of an hour of volunteer time is $31.80.
However, studies have shown that almost half of nonprofit CEOs feel that volunteer recruitment is a significant challenge for their organization, and many organizations are struggling to retain volunteers.
Volunteer management software can play a major role in streamlining the volunteer recruitment, engagement and retention processes to provide a better experience for volunteers and staff. In this guide, we’ll explore the top volunteer management software solutions for nonprofits and some frequently asked questions about these tools. Let’s get started!
Volunteer management software: the basics
What is volunteer management software?
Volunteer management software is a database and constituent management solution that allows nonprofits to maintain digital records of all active and inactive volunteers, screen volunteer applications, create volunteer schedules, communicate with volunteers and more.
With volunteer management software, you can categorize your volunteers by availability, age, gender, geographical location, years of service and other custom categories of your team’s choosing. This software streamlines all of the administrative work of recruiting, training, scheduling and managing your pool of volunteers.
How is volunteer management software beneficial to nonprofits?
Volunteer management software helps make registration and volunteer engagement more convenient and efficient for both nonprofit staff members and volunteers.
Benefits for nonprofit staff
Your staff can access the following benefits from investing in volunteer management software:
- Streamline your volunteer data entry
- Store and leverage volunteer contact information in marketing efforts
- Filter volunteers by skillset or interest
- Track volunteer recruitment efforts
- Monitor volunteer training progress
Benefits for volunteers
Volunteer management software offers these advantages for volunteers:
- Clear two-way communication with the nonprofit
- Timely shift reminders
- A simple volunteer registration process
- Access to personalized shift recommendations
What features should I look for in volunteer management software?
If you’re looking to invest in a new volunteer management platform, there are a few essential features your system should include. These features are:
- Scheduling and hour-tracking tools
- Clear and readable reports
- Ability to customize your database
- Communication tools such as private messaging, emails, direct mail and message boards or forums
- Free technical support
- Integration with your website’s content management system
15 stand-out volunteer management software options
Before determining which volunteer management platform is right for your organization, take some time to browse through the available options. We’ve identified 15 top platforms to consider. These solutions stand out for their robust features, user-friendliness and cost-effectiveness.
Bloomerang Volunteer equips nonprofits with the tools they need to manage large amounts of volunteers efficiently. Bloomerang’s software helps volunteer managers spend less time working on routine administrative tasks and more time in the field interacting with volunteers.
Bloomerang’s platform recognizes the strong pipeline from volunteers to donors. With a two-way sync of constituent profiles and volunteer activity data between Bloomerang Volunteer and the donor management platform, you can view all supporter engagement information in one place. Nonprofits can encourage volunteers to become donors by identifying their most likely prospects using donor database insights.
In addition, the solution stands out for a variety of comprehensive features, including:
- Streamline recruitment with custom forms and automated data transfers to your volunteer database.
- Simplify volunteer screening and onboarding processes with tools that allow you to keep track of where each volunteer is in the training process.
- Offer user-friendly volunteer registration pages that are customized to your nonprofit’s branding.
- Quickly create volunteer schedules, send shift confirmations and reminders and monitor attendance.
- Send timely volunteer appreciation communications right after volunteer shifts conclude to share volunteers’ impact.
- Leverage templates and custom reporting tools to explore insights into your program’s impact.
Bloomerang also provides a mobile app for staff and volunteers. The app allows volunteer coordinators to manage schedules, fill shift gaps, track attendance and send timely messages. Volunteers can use the app to register for opportunities, view their personal schedules, check into shifts and receive and send messages.
Schedule a volunteer management demo today for more information about Bloomerang Volunteer.
Get Connected by Galaxy Digital
Get Connected by Galaxy Digital is a volunteer management software used by thousands of nonprofits, businesses, universities and government agencies across the U.S. and Canada.
The stand-out features of this volunteer management system include:
- Event management and volunteer sign-ups from the same system
- Streamlined group and team management for group volunteer opportunities
- Volunteer profiles that include volunteers’ skills, interests and achievements
Learn more about Get Connected.
Volunteer Local is a simple, user-friendly volunteer management tool for charitable organizations and events.
This solution offers features such as:
- Social sharing tools that prompt volunteers to share your sign-up page to their social media pages
- Custom registration forms that allow you to collect demographic information
- Reports that can be sorted based on location, captain/leader and volunteer rating
Volunteer Local’s pricing plans start at $600 per year.
SignUpGenius offers a free basic event and volunteer registration tool, along with a Premium plan that offers efficient automation tools.
Here are the features you can access as part of the Premium plan:
- The ability to choose pre-formatted sign-up form designs or create your own page design fully branded to your organization
- Opportunity to add custom form fields to your sign-up page to get the exact information you need to power your marketing strategies
- Auto-generated custom email or text notifications
Premium plans start at $8.99 per month.
Civic Champs provides intuitive volunteer management for a variety of cause-based organizations, including animal welfare, hunger relief, education and housing organizations.
The stand-out features of this volunteer platform include:
- A quick onboarding process with the ability to group volunteers and gather waivers, surveys and credentials
- Multiple check-in options, including a computer or tablet kiosk, mobile check-in through the app that volunteers can complete themselves or mobile check-in from your admin phone
- Filtered reporting processes that help boost ROI through valuable data insights
Civic Champ’s pricing starts at $588 per year with a one-month free trial option.
VolunteerMark’s volunteer management system includes features that help both volunteers and nonprofit professionals succeed.
With this platform, nonprofits can leverage features like:
- A simple volunteer import process that lets you quickly migrate volunteer information from spreadsheets to the VolunteerMark system
- The ability to invite or assign volunteers to opportunities based on their availability, skills and interests
- Volunteer profiles that volunteers can update independently with information about their interests, skills, availability and motivation for volunteering
Get started now with a 30-day free trial or a free plan.
Volgistics serves thousands of charitable organizations and helps track millions of volunteers in a fully customizable system.
This volunteer management software offers valuable tools such as:
- Volunteer background checks to streamline the screening process
- Volunteer self-scheduling features that save your volunteer managers time
- Site-level access that keeps volunteer data more secure by giving you the ability to restrict access for certain users
Use the Volgistics price calculator to determine what your pricing plan would look like.
Rosterfy helps organizations scale up more efficiently, reduce costs and maintain compliance with program requirements.
A few unique features of this platform include:
- A gamified recognition system that offers volunteers rewards and complimentary merchandise in exchange for volunteer hours served
- An optimized onboarding process with volunteer segmentation and skills-based training modules
- Workflow automation through every step of the volunteer management process, from onboarding to communications and reporting
Pricing starts at $7,000 per year.
Submittable is a social impact platform that reduces manual work, allowing you to get your program up and running quickly. They offer a volunteer management solution for corporations to help improve and expand their corporate philanthropy programs.
Submittable offers employee volunteer features such as:
- Empowering employees to create volunteer opportunities and invite their coworkers to join
- A volunteer dashboard for employees to see information about their volunteer time off (VTO), upcoming events and their overall impact so far through the events they’ve participated in
- Automated communication with employee volunteers to improve shift attendance
Learn more about Submittable’s pricing tiers here.
Mobilize is a popular volunteer solution for campaigns, advocacy groups, nonprofits, unions and other mission-driven organizations.
Mobilize offers powerful features for improving volunteer engagement, such as:
- Post-event feedback surveys sent via email and text that help gauge volunteer satisfaction
- Grassroots volunteer opportunity management that allows passionate supporters to easily plan and promote their own volunteer events
- Impactful reporting features, such as real-time event data
Learn more about Mobilize.
BetterImpact’s volunteer management system offers features to optimize every step of the volunteer lifecycle, from onboarding and training to ongoing retention.
Organizations turn to this solution for the following features:
- Advanced volunteer search features that facilitate searches based on information in volunteers’ profiles and allow you to save search queries on your dashboard
- Multiple data security safeguards, such as encryption and brute force protection to deter password hacking
- Recurring shift scheduling based on patterns and events, not just timing
Visit the pricing page for information on payment options.
SignUp.com offers free online registration sheets for nonprofit volunteers.
This platform’s features allow volunteer managers to:
- Invite volunteers to register via email or social media (no passwords or logins required)
- Offer mobile-friendly signup pages that volunteers can complete from anywhere
- Send volunteers waitlist notifications when spots become available
Get started with a free plan or a starter plan for $9.99 per month.
Golden’s robust volunteer management platform equips volunteer coordinators with the ability to manage large volunteer groups, whether multiple chapters or regions. This makes this platform effective for both local and enterprise nonprofits, as well as NGOs, foundations, healthcare organizations and other mission-driven organizations.
Additional features of this volunteer management platform include:
- Location-based apps that offer volunteer opportunity recommendations either close to home or your current location
- Frictionless CRM integrations that facilitate real-time database updates
- Localization of volunteer engagement to align information about language, currency, units of measurement and compliance regulations with the country where the information is being displayed
Golden’s pricing starts at $1,200 per year for nonprofits. They also offer a free plan.
FestiVOL is an event volunteer management solution for experiences like festivals and music events.
Event organizers can benefit from features like:
- Customizable application process to set unique criteria for each event
- Scheduling algorithms to determine the best volunteer placements
- Onsite event management tools that give a complete look at your volunteers at any given time
Get a free trial on the FestiVOL website.
POINT is another volunteer management software option that’s free to get started with and includes the ability to recruit, manage, engage and report on volunteer activities more effectively.
Stand-out features of this volunteer management platform include:
- Streamlined website integration that allows you to create events in POINT and automatically updates your website’s volunteer signup page
- Easy volunteer event shift management that gives supporters the chance to sign up for multiple shifts at once
- Automated volunteer time tracking, with hours automatically added to each volunteer’s profile and your organization’s reports
Start with the free plan or upgrade to the Pro plan for $99 per month.
As you review the top volunteer management software solutions to determine which is right for your organization, consider which platform will work best with your nonprofit’s existing software solutions. If your volunteer management software can easily integrate with your CRM or email marketing system, it will make cross-platform marketing and outreach much simpler.
If you’re ready to invest in volunteer management software that facilitates streamlined volunteer and donor management and helps boost program retention, register for a Bloomerang demo today.